- How to Find the Best Small Camping Trailers with Bathrooms - September 15, 2022
- Best Cold Weather RV: Best RVs for Cold Weather RVing - September 14, 2022
- Truck Camper vs Travel Trailer: Which Is The Best For You? - September 14, 2022
When you go on outdoor explorations, there are so many things to enjoy and take in about the entire experience. Most people who purchase RVs do so because they want to be able to experience all of the comforts of home while living out on the road.
One of the most essential components of residential living is having access to properly functioning personal wastewater management (sewer) utilities.
Many RVs come with integrated plumbing for water flush toilets and personal sanitization infrastructure which allows you to properly care for your body’s needs while on the road.
One of the most common problems that many RV owners face is not having access to a working RV sewer or dump station to drain their RVs waste into.
The best way to resolve issues related to RV waste disposal is by installing a Macerator Pump on your motorhome, a high-quality Macerator pump will give you the ability to safely drain RV waste into the nearest RV sewer connection in your area.
RV Macerator pumps are very similar to a kitchen garbage disposal in the sense that they effectively capture and grind up your waste in order to make it easier to dispose of. Macerator pumps connect to the waste outlet on your RV to then move the ground up waste into an appropriate area for safe storage or disposal.
A Macerator pump can be a very useful tool in times where your fresh water, gray water, and dark water levels don’t match up on your RV dump station or you find yourself too far from an adequate RV sewage disposal or dumping area for sewer clean-out.
My Top Picks
If you don’t want to go all the way through the article to find the best RV macerator pumps, we’ve put them right here for you:
|Best Overall||SewerFlo Quick Release||Check Price|
|Most Affordable||SHURFLO 3200-001 Pump||Check Price|
|Premium Choice||Flojet 18555-000A Pump||Check Price|
|Best Value||Flojet 13 GPM RV Pump||Check Price|
Most macerator pumps are the size of a standard garden hose which makes a big difference when compared to the 3” standard waste hoses that were required only a few years ago.
Macerator pumps grind your waste up into pieces small enough so that you can dispose of it in a bathroom toilet (much like toilet paper), septic tank, or sewer. This gives you ultimate flexibility in terms of when and where you can use your macerator pump for waste disposal purposes. One of the biggest advantages of using a macerator pump is that it uses an electric motor which allows you to pump waste uphill.
This is an attribute that you won’t find in many macerator pumps due to their manual operation. Before purchasing a macerator pump for your RV, it’s important to know all of the exact features and attributes to look for so that you can ensure you’re making the right purchase decision.
In this guide, we’re going to go over all of the details related to what you should look for in an RV macerator pump and how to choose the right one, fitting your needs precisely.
Make sure you read all of the information included in this article fully so that you can avoid low-quality pumps that aren’t worth your time or money.
There are a lot of RV macerator pumps available on the market for you to choose from, not all RV macerator pumps are created equal so you want to make sure that you purchase a pump that is compatible with your RV model.
There are three main types of macerator pumps available for sale on the market, they include both portable and stationary options to suit the needs of virtually any RV owner.
Types of RV Macerator Pumps
All three macerator pump designs utilize different components and technical aspects which affect how the pump operates overall.
Before we get into the specifics regarding the differences between each pump type, you have to understand that most RV macerator pumps work by using a 12v power supply. Now that you know this, read the following section carefully so that you know the exact differences between all of the various macerator pump options out on the market.
Permanent RV Macerator Pump
Permanent RV Macerator pumps are typically secured underneath your RV for long-time storage and operation. Permanent RV macerator pumps generally tend to be the most preferred macerator pump option due to their ease of use and convenience.
With permanent RV macerator pumps, you don’t have to worry about always unfolding it to connect it to your waste outlet. It’s already mounted on your motorhome so all you have to do is loosen the security fasteners and begin disposing of your waste in the nearest suitable area.
There are a lot of permanent RV macerator pumps to choose from on the market and some RVs even come with them integrated into the unit as a standard feature.
110v RV Macerator Pump
110v RV macerator pumps are a bit more powerful than your standard 12v macerator pump which is why some people prefer them. 110v RV macerator pumps come in portable and permanent designs so that you can choose which configuration is best for you.
110v RV macerator pumps are ideal for those who have very large RVs and want more waste transference power to dispose of your waste quicker. 110v RV macerator pumps are AC powered giving you more force behind the disposal of your wastewater.
Portable RV Macerator Pumps
Portable RV macerator pumps give you ultimate flexibility when it comes to where and how you get rid of your RVs waste. Portable macerator pumps can easily be moved from one location to another making them the best option for those who want constantly move campsites or use a sporadic pattern when it comes to outdoor exploration.
Portable macerator pumps can be found in a variety of retail stores and other places that specialize in outdoor camping accessories and equipment.
Each macerator pump comes with its own unique benefits and features, before purchasing a macerator pump of any type, make sure that you read about its intended use and how it will benefit you the most while on your outdoor adventure. This will help you avoid purchasing a macerator pump that simply does not offer the features you need or are interested in.
Now let’s look into more of the deeper logistics surrounding macerator pumps and exactly what purpose they serve.
Why do you need a macerator pump?
Macerator pumps are typically used by RV owners who find themselves in a situation where there is no nearby sewer drain or other waste disposal infrastructure.
With traditional RV waste systems, you have to be near a designated sewer drainage area in order to properly dispose of the waste onboard your vehicle. The issue with this is, there’s not always a dumping station near your chosen campsite or location.
This can lead to a number of difficulties in disposing of your waste properly which can lead to disaster if you don’t know the proper steps to follow.
The great thing about macerator pumps is that they can completely eliminate the need for a dump station because they grind waste up so small that it can be disposed of in a toilet (even a composting toilet) or sewer.
Another great benefit to using an RV macerator pump is that due to its small size, the prominent smell coming from your RVs waste is significantly reduced when compared to larger hoses.
If you plan on always using a campground, you may not necessarily need a macerator pump however if you plan on camping in random areas 200+ feet – or even miles away – from shared utilities, a quality macerator pump may save you significant hassle.
What to expect when purchasing a macerator pump
If you decide that an RV macerator pump is right for your camping needs, there are a lot of purchase options you can choose from in order to make your waste disposal process less stressful.
Most macerator pumps that are available on the market come with a power supply and main disposal unit which is basically all you need to begin disposing of waste properly.
One thing that many RV macerators pumps come without is the actual hose, virtually all RV macerator pumps are compatible with standard size garden hoses so you can either purchase one at a local store or use one that you already have laying around.
Something you should remember is to always mark your waste disposal hose with some sort of indicator. This will help you avoid using your waste pump for washing your RV or doing any other task where waste contamination is not a routine part of the process.
The waste residue is often times left inside of the macerator hose that you use to dispose of it so it’s important that you pay attention to what specific hose you use for each activity while camping.
You may be asking yourself; I know what a macerator pump is and what it does but how do I use it? If you’re wondering how to exactly operate an RV macerator pump, continue reading to find out.
How to Operate an RV Macerator Pump
Before you can use your RV macerator pump to successfully discard of waste matter from your vehicle discharge, you’ll need to follow a few simple steps in order to ensure proper functionality. There are a lot of ways to make operating your RV macerator pump smoother and less troublesome depending on its size and capabilities.
Follow these simple steps to ensure that you operate your RV macerator pump in a safe and effective manner, these instructions may vary depending on the brand and model of your RV macerator pump so always read the manual that comes with the product you’ve chosen to purchase.
Instructions: RV Macerator Pump Operation
- Step-1: Connect your RV macerator pump to the waste outlet located on your RV. The location of your RVs waste outlet will vary depending on the make and model, contact the manufacturer if you’re unable to locate your RVs waste outlet before proceeding with RV macerator pump operation.
- Step-2: Connect the exit hose to the RV macerator pump so that you’ll be able to direct your waste in the right direction when it’s time to dump it. While you may be able to find macerator pumps that come with an exit hose, most of them don’t so you’ll either have to purchase one separately or use one that you already have laying around.
- Step-3: Run the exit hose to the waste disposal connection point so that you can safely and efficiently dispose of your gallons of wastewater. Because you’re using an RV macerator pump, you can empty your wastewater into a sewer, toilet, or any other suitable area for waste disposal.
- Step-4: Connect the macerator pump to your RV’s battery to begin operation, check to make sure that the voltage (amps) of your RV battery and macerator pump are compatible to avoid any issues.
- Step-5: Release the drain valve on your waste tank to begin the process of disposal. The location of your drain valve will vary depending on the model and make of your RV so read the manual prior to engaging the drain valve to ensure that you’re releasing the correct mechanism.
- Step-6: Turn your RV macerator pump on to begin disposing of your wastewater, the on switch for your RV macerator pump will be located in different areas depending on the type of pump that you’re using. Always read the instruction manual prior to operating your RV macerator pump to ensure that you’re engaging the right mechanism.
- Step-7: Run your RV macerator pump until you don’t see any more waste coming from the exit hose. This is a very important step to ensure that you properly dispose of any waste remnants or particles which can accumulate inside of your hose and eventually lead to issues.
- Step-8: Once all of your wastewater has been disposed of properly, turn off your RV macerator pump and begin the process of cleaning and storage. Make sure you read any special instructions that come with your RV macerator pump in terms of how you should approach cleaning and storing the unit.
Additional RV Macerator Pump Accessories
The two primary components you’ll need in order to operate your RV macerator pump successfully will be the pump itself and a garden hose. However, there are an array of other components that you’ll need in order to safely and efficiently remove waste from your RV.
One of the first accessories you’ll need is a “clear elbow” which basically lets you see where the waste is going and how empty the tank is. Clear elbows are very simple to operate, you connect one end to the waste outlet on your RV then you connect the other end to your RV macerator pump. Once this process is complete, you’ll be able to monitor your waste disposal process in real-time.
While it may be off-putting to see your waste being disposed of, it’s necessary to ensure that your RV macerator does not malfunction and Is able to meet the demands of your waste disposal. Some RV macerator pumps require extra components such as alligator clips, fuses, adapters, switches, and more.
In order to avoid having to purchase all of these extra items, buy an RV macerator pump kit that has everything you’ll need to be included in it. This will help you save money and operate your RV macerator pump with no issues.
The extra items that you’ll need to make your RV macerator pump work are not that expensive so you shouldn’t worry about dishing out the extra cash too much.
Before making a final purchase decision regarding which RV macerator pump is right for you, make sure that you read any customer reviews regarding the RV macerator pump company that you’re interested in using.
This will allow you to avoid purchasing low-quality products that may malfunction due to regular use over time or pumps which may inhibit your ability to properly dispose of your waste water.
Best RV Macerator Pump Recommendations
Now that you’re familiar with all of the components related to RV macerator pumps, it’s time to choose the right one that will meet your waste disposal needs without a hassle.
There are plenty of RV macerator pumps available on the market however all of them operate using different levels of mechanics and dumping methods however, in the end, they all achieve the same result. This section will list some of the top RV macerators pumps that you can buy right now to begin disposing of your RV waste efficiently and safely.
All of the RV macerator pump recommendations listed in this section come equipped with all of the essential features that you need in order to properly dispose of waste.
While the RV macerator pumps will not be listed in any particular order, it’s important to read all of the features that come included with each model in order to make sure you make the right purchase decision for your RV waste disposal needs.
#1 SewerFlo Quick Release RV Macerator Pump
The SewerFlo Quick Release RV Macerator pump that was designed for easy use and long-lasting functionality. It allows you to attach and remove the unit very easily and is compatible with virtually all pre-existing RV macerator holding tanks and release valves so you won’t have to worry about buying any special accessories to make your pump system work.
The SewerFlo Quick Release is made to handle both black and gray macerator tanks which makes it extremely convenient and versatile when compared to other RV macerator pump options out on the market. It comes with built-in thermal protection for the motor to ensure that you’re running at an acceptable temperature while disposing of your wastewater.
This pump is also one of the more affordable pump options out there being around $200 with all of the extra added parts and components and it even comes with a built-in garden hose inlet to make disposing of your waste smooth and effortless.
My TOP overall recommendation, good mix of durability and price point. Not the best known brand, but one of the best we TESTED.
- Thermal protection for the motor to prevent overheating when under constant use
- Garden hose inlet that makes it easy to dispose of water virtually anywhere you want as long as It’s deemed biohazard friendly.
- Fast attachment and detaching mechanism which makes connecting and using the pump super easy even If you have no previous experience
- A very affordable price which you won’t find with most RV macerator pumps on the market and is also a huge plus
- Is compatible with both black and gray holding tanks so there are no limits to the type of waste that you can dispose of
- Does not come with all of the components you need in order to comprehensively operate the unit out of the box which may pose too much of a hassle for some consumers
- Isn’t the most well-built RV macerator pump which leads to concerns over how durable the machine is
#2 SHURFLO 3200-001 12V Macerator Pump
The SHURFLO 3200-001 12V Macerator Pump is a permanent RV macerator pump that was built with durability and powerful functionality in mind. It is a high-quality product that can withstand a large amount of waste disposal in a very short amount of time.
The SHURFLO 3200-001 comes with a dual-blade macerator system that ensures efficient waste disposal flow and helps you avoid pump malfunctions for smooth and lasting performance. It also comes with dry run capabilities which makes it easy for people who are inexperienced in using macerator pumps avoid potential issues with its functionality.
This macerator pump comes with a standard 1-year warranty that protects you in the event of a malfunction or other problem which may affect how smoothly the unit runs. The SHURFLO Pump is a well-designed and robust RV macerator pump that puts the capability of some higher end machines right into your hands at a fraction of the cost.
If you’re looking for an affordable RV macerator pump that is built to last, the SHURFLO 3200-001 12V Macerator Pump may be the perfect choice for you.
- Thermal heat protection to keep the unit safe from overheating when exposed to prolonged use, in addition to an ignition switch to make the operation of the pump effortless.
- A 1-year standard warranty that protects you from any malfunctions or other issues related to how your RV macerator pump works
- Dry run capabilities which provide a safeguard from potential damage due to a lack of knowledge about how to properly operate the pump
- Dual-blade performance build that ensures an efficient waste disposal process
- Affordable price and high-quality build make the SHURFLO 3200-001 12V Macerator Pump a great deal
The system may not last longer than 3 months as many customers have reported however you can use the standard 1-year warranty
#3 Flojet 18555-000A Portable Macerator Pump
The Flojet 18555-000A Portable Macerator Pump is a portable RV macerator pump that is packed with all of the features you need to safely and efficiently dispose of your waste. It features a comprehensive design that comes with automatic safety mechanisms and functional assistance tools.
The Flojet 18555-000A has a portable on/off switch that makes it easy for you to safely dispose of your RVs waste without being too close to the entire process. It also comes with integrated 30-second dry run protection which ensures that your machine will continue working properly even if you happen to forget how to operate it correctly.
This macerator pump comes with its own carrying case which makes it easy to transport and move when not in use without worrying about the possibility of contamination. It only weighs about 6lbs which is very lightweight considering the average weight for most RV macerator pumps available on the market.
The Flojet macerator pump is compatible with both black and gray tanks so you are not restricted to the type of waste you can dispose of with this pump.
The Flojet 18555-000A Portable Macerator Pump is a fully functional Flojet quiet quad RV macerator pump that is affordable and long-lasting.
- Lightweight design which makes using the pump and transporting it effortless
- Affordable price so that you can get high-quality waste disposal performance without spending too much money
- Is equipped to handle gray and black waste tanks so you can handle any waste disposal challenge that is in front of you without a problem
- Dry-run protection that kicks in after 30 seconds to keep your RV macerator pump safe from malfunctioning or giving out due to improper use
- Handheld on/off switch that makes it easy for you to operate the RV macerator pump without being too close to the actual device
- Comes with a carrying case so that you can take it with you without worrying about waste residue or contamination in other parts of your RV
- Easier to clean and service than most (mainyl due to it’s lightweight quality).
- Customer support can be improved as many customers report not being able to find the answer they need from company representatives
- A wire that comes with the machine is not very long so you may have to purchase a longer wire if you need to dispose of waste at longer distances
#4 Flojet 18550000A GPM Macerator Pump
The Flojet 18550000A GPM Macerator Pump is a permanent macerator pump that delivers high-quality performance and long-lasting durability.
It comes with built-in impeller protection that ensures your pump is always operating at the optimal power output and energy consumption rate. This results in your Flojet 18550000A Pump lasting longer and providing you with extended benefits that you won’t find in many competing products.
This Flojet Pump is also capable of handling black and gray waste tanks so that you can empty out as much waste as you want regardless of how large or small your tank is. It is also self-priming so you don’t have to worry about making extra preparations before disposing of your waste. Simply set-up the machine, turn it on and watch the rest unfold seamlessly all while maintaining safety and efficiency.
The Flojet 18550000A is a powerful permanent RV macerator pump that is able to withstand tons of hard use without giving out or losing its disposal ability.
Gray and black water distinction capabilities, but no thermal heat protection. HOWEVER, much cheaper than other Flojet's.
- An affordable price which makes it easy for everyone to get a high-quality RV macerator pump that works perfectly and maintains the durability
- Very easy to set-up and install so that RV owners everywhere can begin disposing of their waste in a safe and professional manner
- Self-priming abilities which add even more convenience to the entire operation of the pump reducing some of the stress you experience when managing waste dumps
- Efficient and sanitary design that gets rid of waste neatly and fast so you don’t have to worry about stoppages or backflows that can lead to very messy situations
- Integrated impeller protection that ensures your pump runs for a long time and maintains its premium functionality without much work required on your part
- Compatible with black and gray waste tanks so that you can get rid of the waste you have at any time and any place without restrictions
Lacks thermal heat protection which may lead to engine overheating or other malfunctions affecting the functionality of the pump overall
FAQ: Questions & Answers
Answer: Most RV macerator pumps can dispose of waste up to 50 meters away horizontally and up to 4 meters (or 13 feet) away vertically. The exact distance and height at which your RV macerator pump is able to dispose of waste will largely depend on it’s made, model, size, and a variety of other factors.
If you want to ensure that your selected RV macerator pump is able to handle waste disposal at the distances you need before purchasing, consider reading the manual in order to get the details about what the RV macerator pump is rated for in terms of distance.
Answer: RV macerator pumps and macerator toilets work very similarly, however, macerator toilets tend to be set in a fixed position and use a holding tank instead of a hose to properly dispose of waste collected. A Macerator toilet kit grinds up waste before transferring it into a holding tank, once the holding tank is full you can dispose of the collected waste via a service door located on the holding tank.
With a macerator pump, there is no holding tank for waste water, however. You CAN attach your macerator pump to your existing holding tank if you need to dispose of waste. RV macerator pumps are stand-alone units that allow you to increase the distance and method used for disposing of your wastewater.
Answer: Many RVs come with integrated macerator toilet systems however some owners don’t like having to deal with the hassle of emptying out a holding tank which is why they choose to use RV macerator pumps instead. While RV macerator pumps are not required in order to dispose of your RV wastewater, they can make getting rid of your waste much easier than a standard macerator toilet.
Question: Is it hard to dump a black tank or a gray tank?
Answer: Once you know how to dump your tanks, it’s very simple but it does take a while to get the hang of it.
Final Flow Rate: What’s the Best Macerating Pump for RVs?
RV macerator pumps make it easy for RV owners of all sizes and types to dispose of their waste properly if there aren’t near an official dumping station for sewage clean-out or an RV sewer drain. There are so many RV macerators pumps out on the market that it can be a bit challenging trying to find which one is best for your specific needs.
With all of the information listed in this guide, you should have no problem finding the right RV macerator pump that has the power, capability, features, and versatility that you need. we’ve gone over virtually every aspect of RV macerator pump that you’ll need in order to choose the right product for your RV type and waste disposal demands.
Make sure that you read the details of each RV macerator pump before purchasing it to ensure that has all of the vital features you need to safely and efficiently get rid of the waste in your RV holding tank.
First start by figuring out whether or not you want a portable, permanent, or 110v macerator pump.
Once you’ve made that decision, do some research to find out what people are using with RVs that are similar to yours. Go to the manufacturer website of your RVs production company to see if they have any special recommendation or instructions on which RV macerator pumps are best for your motorhome.
As long as you use all of the information included in this guide, you should have no problem finding the right RV macerator pump that will allow you to efficiently and safely dispose of your wastewater.
Take into consideration how far you plan on disposing of your waste from your initial camping ground and nearby power supplies so that you can make sure your waste disposal goes smooth and without any mistakes.
My TOP overall recommendation, good mix of durability and price point. Not the best known brand, but one of the best we TESTED.
Gray and black water distinction capabilities, but no thermal heat protection. HOWEVER, much cheaper than other Flojet's.